High Desert Hideaway

Mullings and thought on topics of various types. The easily offended and those who do not know how to think logically should probably quit reading here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas, United States

Crusty old medically retired Vietnam Veteran. USN Special Warfare, Various US Army postings with the last being Ft. Bragg. Recently Ordained as a Minister and happily living at my High Desert Hideaway number 2. I'll build #1 when we hit either the PCH big check or Sweetie hits the Lotto. :-)

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The only constant.... is change

Perhaps a cryptic title but it will make sense soon. It seems that my truck driving days are at an end... at least as a main profession. The constant micro-trauma on my spine, from bouncing around in the cab all day, eventually took it's toll. I suffered a ruptured disc in my lower back. The company I was working for opted to terminate me rather than permit me to collect short term disability or utilize the medical insurance I'd been paying for. Oh well. As they say God never closes a door without opening a window.

While it's often difficult to connect with we're all pebbles in the stream of cosmic consciousness. This stream has many names. Some call it God, Allah, Chi, the "Force", the stream, the flow and the Z.P.F. or Zero Point Field. By whatever name you prefer it's that little voice you sometimes hear or are vaguely aware of. It's that "gut feeling" that something (or someone) is "good" or "bad". It's that answer from nowhere to the question you'd been pondering for hours or days. It's the fabric behind that "hunch" you had. Dismiss the information you receive at your own risk.

While awaiting treatment for the ruptured disc the unasked mental question was "what the heck do I do now?" Several days later I was sitting in my recliner when, out of nowhere, a question forms in my mind.... "I wonder if they need anyone at the McDonald Observatory?"

Without having known me for decades that question probably sounds rather strange. A brief tour of our book cases (nearly 25 feet worth by 7 feet tall) will quickly add the necessary enlightenment. There one will find everything from psychology to geology. From elementary science to quantum physics and on to astronomy. My closets will yield several pair of high power binoculars and eventually surrender a 4.5 inch Meade reflector telescope with computerized motor drive tracking. Since I'm at a point where, due to circumstance, almost anything is possible... why not investigate a possibility to work near some of the science I love?

I logged onto the McDonald Observatory web site and, to my surprise, they had an opening for one technician which had just opened. Luck? Coincidence? The "force" being with me? Who knows? As Seneca, a Roman philosopher circa mid-1st century AD said, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I queried my wife about the job posting and she said to "go for it!" without hesitation. The combination of on line and ground mail application was completed today. Next is continued positive thinking while I wait to call the facility manager on Friday.

Should all go well I'll relocate to the mountains of southwest Texas in the near future. The nearest town is Fort Davis. This is the part of Texas where you pretty much have to be deliberately going to in order to get there. It's NOT a place you just "happened" to pass through while out for a drive. In MY world that's a good thing. I dislike large cities and I'm not overly fond of large congregations of people either. I grew up in a small town and prefer them for places to live near. House wise I prefer even more isolation. Basically if I can go out of my house, fire a 308 or 3006 in any direction and have a chance of hitting anyone I'm not deliberately targeting.... I'm too close to civilization.

If accepted it will be challenging for several months. I'll be down there and my wife will be in Dallas. My "house" will be the largest of our several camping tents. Just in time for winter too! What JOY!!! Fortunately there is a State Park near the Observatory so where to pitch camp isn't a problem. Living in a tent in the winter time.... also not a problem. Thanks to the military and some rather unique cold weather training.... just having a tent is a huge step up. Toss in the availability of electricity at the camp site and it's the Hilton! Be it ever so humble and all that stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home